Who am I when u look at me from behind?: The METS Project

Monday, February 18, 2008

The METS Project

This is a novel I read a few days ago. It talks about a team of scientists work on a project called METS. METS stands on Mutation an Egg to a Sperm. I was very happy because I knew that there is someone who had the same theory as mine. And I was thinking if this fiction really becomes reality it means two women can reproduce an offspring so number of homophobic will be decrease.

But to think about the possibility of this novel, it is almost unnecessary because to change a big sphere egg to a small sperm that have a head and a tail is not easy as we think it is. Moreover, natural fecundation need thousands sperms and a women could not have such that number of eggs to change into sperms. In the novel the result of that experiment only 30 or 40 of 56 eggs can successfully become sperms so this fecundation can be successful? To be honest, I really don’t know much about making woman become pregnant artificially so I am not sure if we have only a little sperms we can fertilize or not. One more thing that I think is impossible is in the end of the story Michiru bore a son that is the final result of the experiment. As I know female sexual chromosome is XX and male is XY. Each egg only contains one X of two and artificial sperms have been change only their shape but their chromosomes are originally kept. Then, if an artificial sperm fertilize with an egg the new life is absolutely female. Is it possible that her baby is male?

One the other hand, when I was studying my first year at the University of Health Science, I learnt about reproduction and fecundation. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t learn about this subject back then in high school but I just understand clearly every detail of this topic. Then, I think that if the chromosome of an egg can cross the three membranes of the other egg in order to mix its chromosomes with another one like a spermatozoid deliver its chromosomes cross egg’s membranes. It means two women can have their offspring since they already had their own uterus to stock the fetus. But we need a lot of chemical to make the chromosomes of those eggs synthesize before they mix into each other. Another problem is in my theory we need two mature eggs of two women but a women can have a mature egg only once a month and it is not easy to make two women have a mature egg at the same time. One more thing mature eggs have a short life time. They are last long only 24 to 48 hours. Moreover a woman has only 400 to 500 mature eggs in their life time. So it is difficult to have enough eggs to make experiment. But as a human we should be optimistic. If it is possible when I became a qualified doctor I will try to research about this problem because I want to make this one wish of a lot of lesbians comes true. This wish is being able to live and bear their own child like normal couple in the world.

1 comment:

Van-ishing said...

Even stuff you read is in some way related to medical stuff...